Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Sports Medicine
- Maxillofacial fractures in the province of Latina, Lazio, Italy: Review of 400 injuries and 83 cases.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2014; 42: 583-587
- Prevalence of sports-related maxillofacial fractures, at Clinica Alemana Santiago, Chile.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2013; 42: 1220
- Patterns of paediatric facial fractures in a hospital of São Paulo, Brazil: a retrospective study of 3 years.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2013; 41: 226-229
- Analysis of 809 facial bone fractures in a pediatric and adolescent population.Arch Plast Surg. 2012; 39: 606
- Retrospective study of prevalence of face fractures in southern Brazil.Indian J Dent Res. 2012; 23: 80-86
- Pattern and treatment of facial trauma in pediatric and adolescent patients.J Craniofac Surg. 2011; 22: 1251-1255
- Facial fractures in children and adolescents: a retrospective study of 3 years in a hospital in Belo Horizonte, Brazil.Dent Traumatol. 2010; 26: 262-270
- Demographical and clinical aspects of sports-related maxillofacial and skull base fractures in hospitalized patients.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010; 39: 857-862
- Seven-year institutional experience in the surgical treatment of orbito-zygomatic fractures.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2011; 39: 593-599
- Epidemiology of maxillofacial injury in children under 15 years of age in southern China.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2013; 115: 436-441
- Sports-related eye injuries: the current picture.Acta Ophthalmol. 2015; 93: 224-231
- Pediatric eye injuries presenting to United States emergency departments: 2001–2007.Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2013; 251: 629-636
- Sport-related eye injury in northern Israel.Isr Med Assoc J. 2013; 15: 763-765
- A survey of ocular sports trauma and the role of eye protection.Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2012; 35: 285-287
- Pediatric eye injuries treated in us emergency departments, 1990-2009.Clin Pediatr. 2012; 51: 374-381
- Prevalence of traumatic dental injuries to anterior teeth of 12-year-old school children in Kashmir, India.Arch Trauma Res. 2016; 5: e24596
- Clinical audit of children with permanent tooth injuries treated at a dental hospital in Ireland.Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2011; 12: 41-45
- Pattern of mid-facial fractures in Tehran, Iran.Dent Traumatol. 2011; 27: 131-134
- Dental injuries among children and adolescents aged 1-15 years attending to public hospital in Temuco, Chile.Dent Traumatol. 2010; 26: 254-261
- A retrospective study of 889 injured permanent teeth.Dent Traumatol. 2010; 26: 466-475
- Sports eyewear protective standards.Clin Exp Optom. 2016; 99: 4-23
- American Academy of Pediatrics. Risk of injury from baseball and softball in children.Pediatrics. 2001; 107: 782
- Eye protectors for racquet sports [amendment 1] AS/NZS 4066.Standards Australia & Standards New Zealand, Sydney (New South Wales)1994
- Racquet sports eye protection CSA P400.Canadian Standards Association, Toronto1982
- Specification for eye-protectors for racket sports: squash BS 7930–1.British Standards Institution, London1998
- Standard specification for eye protectors for selected sports ASTM F803.American Society of Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken (PA)2014
- Ocular injuries in basketball and baseball: what are the risks and how can we prevent them?.Curr Sports Med Rep. 2008; 7: 284-288
- Standard specification for eye protectors for field hockey ASTM F2713.American Society of Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken (PA)2014
- Standard specification for eye protectors for women’s lacrosse ASTM F3077.American Society of Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken (PA)2014
- A review of facial protective equipment use in sport and the impact on injury incidence.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012; 50: 233-238
- Spectacle-related eye injuries, spectacle-impact performance and eye protection.Clin Exp Optom. 2015; 98: 203-209
- Eye protection and risk of eye injuries in high school field hockey.Pediatrics. 2015; 136: 521-527
- Effectiveness of the women’s lacrosse protective eyewear mandate in the reduction of eye injuries.Am J Sports Med. 2012; 40: 611-614
- Floorball-related eye injuries: the impact of protective eyewear.Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2016; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Unprotected eyes in squash: not seeing the risk of injury.J Sci Med Sport. 2005; 8: 92-100
- Predictors of goggle use among racquetball players.Int J Inj Contr Saf Promot. 2008; 15: 167-170
- The effectiveness of a squash eyewear promotion strategy.Br J Sports Med. 2005; 39: 681-685
- Factors affecting sports-related orofacial injuries and the importance of mouthguards.Sports Med. 2014; 44: 777-783
- The importance of using mouthguards.J Am Dent Assoc. 2004; 135: 1061
- Enforcement of mouthguard use and athlete compliance in National Collegiate Athletic Association men’s collegiate ice hockey competition.J Athl Train. 2002; 37: 204-208
- Athletic mouthguards acceptance program requirements.American Dental Association, Chicago (IL)2016
- Athletic mouth protectors and materials specification 99.American National Standards Institute, New York2013
- Standard practice for care and use of athletic mouth protectors ASTM F697.American Society for Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken (PA)2016
- Mouthguards for use in sports and recreation [draft] BS 8563.British Standards Institution, London2011
- Mouthguards for use in sports [withdrawn] EN 15712.European Committee for Standardization, Brussels (Belgium)2007
- Guidelines for the fabrication, use and maintenance of sports mouthguards [withdrawn] HB 209-2003.Standards Australia, Sydney (New South Wales)2003
- Characterization of mouthguard materials: thermal properties of commercialized products.Dent Mater. 2009; 25: 1593-1602
- A preliminary report of structural changes to mouthguards during 1 season of high school football.J Athl Train. 2007; 42: 47-50
- Effect of mouthguards on dental injuries and concussions in college basketball.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002; 34: 41-44
- The incidence and severity of dental trauma in intercollegiate athletes.J Am Dent Assoc. 2007; 138: 1121-1126
- An evaluation of mouthguard requirements and dental injuries in New Zealand rugby union.Br J Sports Med. 2005; 39: 650-651
- Prevention of orofacial injury via the use of mouthguards among young male rugby players.Int J Sports Med. 2014; 36: 254-261
- Oro-facial injuries and mouthguard use in elite female field hockey players.Dent Traumatol. 2008; 24: 189-192
- Mouthguard use in match play and training in a cohort of professional rugby league players.Int J Sports Sci Coach. 2008; 3: 87-93
- Use of mouth guard in basketball: observational study of a group of teenagers with and without motivational reinforcement.Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2014; 15: 392-396
- Wearability and physiological effects of custom-fitted vs self-adapted mouthguards.Dent Traumatol. 2008; 24: 439-442
- Influence of mouthguards on the physical performance of soccer players.Dent Traumatol. 2013; 29: 450-454
- Should football players wear custom fitted mouthguards? Results from a group randomised controlled trial.Inj Prev. 2005; 11: 242-246
- Acceptability of baseball face guards and reduction of oculofacial injury in receptive youth league players.Inj Prev. 2000; 6: 232-234
- Evaluation of safety balls and faceguards for prevention of injuries in youth baseball.JAMA. 2003; 289: 568
- The impact of new regulations on the incidence and severity of ocular injury sustained in hurling.Eye (Lond). 2008; 22: 475-478
- Head and neck injuries among ice hockey players wearing full face shields vs half face shields.JAMA. 1999; 282: 2328
- Standard method of impact test and performance requirements for football faceguards.National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment, Overland Park (KS)2015
- Craniomaxillofacial injury in sport: a review of prevention research.Br J Sports Med. 2005; 39: 254-263
- Standard specification for eye and face protective equipment for hockey players ASTM F513.American Society for Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken (PA)2012
American Society for Testing and Materials. Standard specification for head and face protective equipment for ice hockey goaltenders ASTM F1587. West Conshohocken (PA): 2012.
Canadian Standards Association. Face protectors for use in ice hockey CSA Z262.2. Toronto: 2015.
American Society of Testing and Materials. Standard specification for face guards for youth baseball ASTM F910. West Conshohocken (PA): 2015.
National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment. Standard performance specification for newly manufactured baseball/softball batter’s helmet mounted face protector. Overland Park (KS): 2013.
National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment. Standard performance specification for newly manufactured baseball/softball catcher’s helmet with faceguard. Overland Park (KS): 2013.
Standards Australia & Standards New Zealand. Protective headgear for cricket - faceguards AS/NZS 4499.3. Sydney (New South Wales): 1997.
British Standards Institution. Head and face protection for cricketers and face protectors for cricket wicket-keepers BS 7928-2. London: 2009.
Canadian Standards Association. Face protectors for use in lacrosse CSA Z262.8. Toronto: 2015.
National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment. Standard performance specification for newly manufactured lacrosse helmets with faceguard. Overland Park (KS): 2012.
- Standard performance specification for newly manufactured lacrosse face protectors NOCSAE (ND)045-09m13.National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment, Overland Park (KS)2013
- The effect of the mandatory use of face masks on facial lacerations and head and neck injuries in ice hockey. A prospective study.Am J Sports Med. 1995; 23: 773-775
- A comparison of facial protection and the incidence of head, neck, and facial injuries in Junior A hockey players. A function of individual playing time.Am J Sports Med. 2002; 30: 39-44
- The effect of visors on head and facial injury in National Hockey League players.J Sci Med Sport. 2006; 9: 238-242
- Effectiveness of rugby headgear in preventing soft tissue injuries to the head: a case-control and video cohort study.Br J Sports Med. 2004; 38: 159-162
- Safety measures in amateur boxing.Br J Sports Med. 2002; 36: 394-395
- Boxing.in: Kordi N. Maffuli N. Wroble R.R. Combat sports medicine. Springer, London2009: 193-213
- Injury rates and risk factors in competitive professional boxing.Clin J Sport Med. 2009; 19: 20-25
- Special medical protection items equipment regulations.Fédération Internationale de Football Association, Zürich (Switzerland)2016: 48
- The effect of protective headgear on head injuries and concussions in adolescent football (soccer) players.Br J Sports Med. 2008; 42 ([discussion: 115]): 110-115
- Educational interventions for the prevention of eye injuries.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009; (CD006527)
- Effectiveness of protective eyewear in reducing eye injuries among high school field hockey players.Pediatrics. 2012; 130: 1069-1075
- Mouthguards in sport activities: history, physical properties and injury prevention effectiveness.Sports Med. 2007; 37: 117-144
- Dramatic impact of using protective equipment on the level of hurling-related head injuries: an ultimately successful 27-year programme.Br J Sports Med. 2014; 48: 147-150
- Eye safety in hurling: a few remaining blind spots?.Ir J Med Sci. 2015; 184: 707-711
- A five year retrospective analysis of facial fracture pattern and aetiology of injury: do hurling helmets work?.Ir J Med Sci. 2012; 181: S23
- Impact of visors on eye and orbital injuries in the National Hockey League.Can J Ophthalmol. 2014; 49: 243-248
- Committee on Sports Medicine and Fitness, American Academy of Ophthalmology, Eye Health and Public Information Task Force. Protective eyewear for young athletes.Ophthalmology. 2004; 111: 600-603
- Epidemiology and prevention of sports-related eye injuries.J Emerg Nurs. 2010; 36: 359-361
- Associations between timing in the baseball pitch and shoulder kinetics, elbow kinetics, and ball speed.Am J Sports Med. 2013; 41: 336-342
- Epidemiological features of high school baseball injuries in the United States, 2005-2007.Pediatrics. 2008; 121: 1181-1187
- Craniomaxillofacial fractures during recreational baseball and softball.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004; 62: 1209-1212
- Comparison of the effect of RIF and Major League Baseball impacts on the acceleration response and skull fracture patterns of cadaver heads.Worth Inc, Tullahoma (TN)1992
- Analysis and comparison of head impacts using baseballs of various hardness and a hybrid III dummy.Clin J Sport Med. 1993; 3: 217-228
- Baseball eye protection: the effect of impact by major league and reduced injury factor baseball on currently available eye protectors.in: Hoerner E.F. Cosgrove F.A. International Symposium on Safety in Baseball/Softball, 1995, Atlanta, GA. ASTM, West Conshohocken (PA)1997 (STP1313: 29–37.)
- Baseball hardness as a risk factor for eye injuries.Arch Ophthalmol. 1999; 117: 354-358
- A survey of orofacial injuries among basketball players.Int Dent J. 2011; 61: 43-46
- Epidemiology of rare injuries and conditions among United States high school athletes during the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 school years.J Athl Train. 2008; 43: 624-630
- Dental trauma incidence and mouthguard use in elite athletes in Turkey.Dent Traumatol. 2005; 21: 76-79
- Basketball players experience of dental injury and awareness about mouthguard in China.Dent Traumatol. 2008; 24: 430-434
- Level of information concerning dental injuries and their prevention in Swiss basketball–a survey among players and coaches.Dent Traumatol. 2005; 21: 195-200
- Prevention of traumatic dental lesions: cognitive research on the role of mouthguards during sport activities in paediatric age.Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2007; 8: 193-198
- Interview with the AIBA Medical Commission Chairman.AIBA Mag. 2016; (Boxing!): 2-3
- Serious eye injuries to cricket wicketkeepers: a call to consider protective eyewear.Br J Sports Med. 2013; 47: 607-608
- Putting a lid on it: prevention of batting helmet related injuries in cricket.Br J Sports Med. 2013; 47: 609-610
The International Hockey Federation. Rules of hockey. Available at: http://www.fih.ch. Accessed May 18, 2016.
National Standards Authority of Ireland. Specification for helmets for hurling and camogie players IS 355. 2006. Available at: http://www.nsai.ie. Accessed May 1, 2016.
- Rule 4-Equipment official guide - Part 2.Gaelic Athletic Association, Dublin (Ireland)2015
- Prevailing attitude amongst current senior intercounty hurlers to head and facial protection: a pilot study.Ir J Med Sci. 2007; 176: 279-281
- Maxillofacial and dental injuries sustained in hurling.Ir Med J. 2010; 103: 174-176
- Changing the face of hockey: a study of the half-visor’s ability to reduce the severity of facial injuries of the upper-half of the face among east coast hockey league players.Phys Sportsmed. 2008; 36: 76-86
- Injuries in junior A ice hockey: a three-year prospective study.Am J Sports Med. 1995; 23: 458-461
- The impact of face shield use on concussions in ice hockey: a multivariate analysis.Br J Sports Med. 2002; 36: 27-32
- Proceedings from the Ice Hockey Summit on Concussion: a call to action.PM R. 2011; 3: 605-612
American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry. Policy on prevention of sports-related orofacial injuries. 2013. Available at: http://www.aapd.org/media/policies_guidelines/p_sports.pdf. Accessed May 1, 2016.
- The role of the mouthguard in the prevention of sports-related dental injuries: a review.Int J Paediatr Dent. 2001; 11: 396-404
- Is protective equipment useful in preventing concussion? A systematic review of the literature.Br J Sports Med. 2009; 43: i56-i67
- Mouthguard use in youth ice hockey and the incidence of concussion and dental injuries.Clin J Sport Med. 2015; 25 ([Abstract]): 0-3
- Use of mouthguard rates among athletes during 2009 IIHF word U18 championship.Dentistry. 2014; 04https://doi.org/10.4172/2161-1122.1000195
- Attitudes of Central Collegiate Hockey Association ice hockey players toward athletic mouthguard usage.J Public Health Dent. 2005; 65: 71-75
- Head trauma in mixed martial arts.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 1352-1358
Discover UFC. Championship UF. Rules and Regulations. Available at: http://www.ufc.ca/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations. Accessed May 25, 2016.
- Biomechanical study of full-contact karate contrasted with boxing.J Neurosurg. 1986; 64: 248-252
- Survey analysis to assess the effectiveness of the bull tough helmet in preventing head injuries in bull riders: a pilot study.Clin J Sport Med. 2002; 12: 360-366
- Mechanisms of head injury in bull riders with and without the Bull Tough helmet–a case series.J Okla State Med Assoc. 2005; 98: 591-595
- Agreement statement from the 1st International Rodeo Research and Clinical Care Conference.Clin J Sport Med. 2005; 15: 192-195
- The rodeo athlete: injuries - Part I.Sports Med. 2010; 40: 817-839
- The rodeo athlete: injuries - Part II.Sports Med. 2010; 40: 817-839
- Equipment, environment and emergency plan.World Rugby, Dublin (Ireland)2016
- Australian rugby union medical and safety recommendations for players, coaches, administrators & match Officials.Australian Rugby Union, St Leonards (New South Wales)2014
- Collective agreement between New Zealand Rugby Union Incorporated and Rugby Players Collective Incorporated.New Zealand Rugby Players' Association, Auckland (New Zealand)2013
- Prevalence of dental trauma and use of mouthguards in rugby union players.Aust Dent J. 2014; 59: 473-481
- Evaluation of protective equipment for prevention of injuries in rugby union.Int J Epidemiol. 2005; 34: 113-118
- Dental injury and its prevention in Swiss rugby.Dent Traumatol. 2012; 28: 465-469
- Mouthguard use and awareness of junior rugby league players in the Gold Coast, Australia.Clin J Sport Med. 2016; 26: 128-132
- Law 9: Players’ boots, jewellery and protective equipment.Australian Football League, Docklands (Victoria)2016
National Rugby League. Section 4: The players and players’ equipment. New South Wales (Australia): 2013.
- Considerations for the performance requirements and technical specifications of soft-shell padded headgear.Proc IMechE Part P: J Sports Engineering and Technology. 2016; 230: 29-42
- Regulation 12. Schedule 1. Specifications relating to players’ dress. Law 4 – players' clothing.World Rugby, Dublin (Ireland)2015
- Video analysis of craniofacial soccer incidents: a prospective study.J Sci Med Sport. 2012; 15: 14-18
- Soccer (football) ocular injuries: an important eye health problem.Br J Ophthalmol. 2004; 88: 159-160
- The mechanism and prevention of soccer eye injuries.Br J Ophthalmol. 2004; 88: 167-168
- Dental squash injuries - a survey among players and coaches in Switzerland, Germany and France.Dent Traumatol. 2006; 22: 231-236
Disclosure: The authors have no conflicts to disclose.